Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Facing fears

My new bike!!!!

So today was quite an interesting day.  I woke up this morning, feeling like I got hit by a truck, so freaking horrible.  I started throwing up from the moment I woke up.  I had a lovely case of food poisoning, but managed to stick it out at work today, mostly because I didn't have any other options.  Besides I would have felt like crap whether I was at work, or at home.  Needless to say I didn't have too many calories today, because I simply didn't feel like eating. 

My day turned around this afternoon, when I started feeling a bit better, and could actually keep water down.  Then this evening, I started feeling much better, and my husband and I went to the bike shop to pick out new bikes!! We really wanted bikes, just so we could do something fun together, and still get some exercise in.  Something in addition to the exercise equipment. 

I was super nervous about going to the bike shop, because I was so afraid of what they would think.  We went to a shop this weekend, and the guy was kind of an asshat.  I don't know if he just sucked in general, or figured my husband and I weren't serious about buying bikes because we were fat.  Surprise asshat, we were interested, and you totally blew your sale.  So going into this new bike shop, I was a bit nervous.  This guy was so knowledgeable and helpful, and didn't make me feel weird at all.  He put us both at ease.  He didn't direct me to men's bikes, because I'm tall, he just wanted to know what kind of riding I would be doing, and I found this.  I loved it, and it was a woman's bike that us tall girls can ride!  He told me to take it out for a spin and see what I thought. 

I cautiously rolled the bike outside, scratch that, I had my husband roll the bike outside and I very nervously got on.  I had all of these fears in my head

                              * I would be too fat and flatten the tires

                               * I would fall on my ass and make a fool out of myself

                                *Or a combination of both of these options LOL

Keep in mind that I haven't been on a bike in oh probably 15 years!  You will be happy to hear, or maybe you won't be happy to hear it, lol, but none of these things happened.  I actually hopped on, and while I was a little shaky and scared at first, it all came back to me.  I guess it's true like they say, "you'll never forget how to ride a bike."  So almost $1000 dollars later, ouch, we brought our brand new toys home, and felt like 5 year old's on Christmas morning.  We unloaded the bikes, hopped on, and rode around our neighborhood for a little while.  It was tons of fun, and I can't wait to go riding tomorrow! 

I guess I learned a lesson today, to actually try new things and not be so scared.  I don't want fear to control me anymore.  It's silly to let irrational fears get in the way of things that I want to do.  I refuse to let things like this hold me back.  I am changing my life and deserve to be happy.  The new Katie, won't let fear control her, and let life pass her by, she will live life to the fullest and enjoy every minute of it. 

Well it is about that time, that I should try to get a little sleep.  Have a great night!  Bring on Humpday!

Fabulously me,

KT

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience today. We want bikes, but I was definitely nervous thinking the same thoughts as you did. I kept saying, in my head, you have every right to ride a bike, if you want to. We didn't get one yet, but we are still looking. Your bike looks nice. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It really is a lot of fun! You should definitely get one, and not let these crazy thoughts stop you. We do have every right to ride a bike, and enjoy it. Good luck on your search!

    ReplyDelete