Saturday, August 28, 2010

The 11th mile

So today was the big day of our first bike ride at the forest preserves.  I was super nervous, because I was going with my super fit bff, her fiance, and my husband.  I was so worried that I would hold them back, and worried that I might not be able to keep up.  Keep in mind that I haven't ridden a bike in about 15years, and this was our first real ride.  We went to a forest preserve by our place, and the trail was 5.5 miles, which sounded a bit scary.  LOL

We headed out on the trail midday, and today might not have been the best day for a ride.  I mean don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, nice and sunny, however it was 90+ degrees and humid.  So we started riding, and the hot sun was beating down on me in my BLACK shirt, and dark gray yoga pants, hey no one said I was smart.  Also, keep in mind that my complexion matches that of Casper's, and silly old me forgot to put on the sunblock.  So, it was really hot, and we were riding along the trail, and I was doing ok, and then all of a sudden my right pedal fell off.  I was totally mortified, and then my friends and my husband kept asking if I was ok.  I was so hot by then, and after walking my bike a little ways, I started having an anxiety attack.  I just felt so stupid, and was totally down on myself.  I thought I broke the pedal because I was fat.  So we got back to their place, I was dying at this point, and headed out to the bike shop to get it fixed.  I was so embarrassed, and I refused to go in.  I was actually crying.  I know, that sounds ridiculous, but I just got so down on myself.  He took the bike in the shop, and it turns out, just as my husband said, it had nothing to do with my weight, the brake just wasn't tightened.  The guy at the shop apologized, and said it was their fault.  So we got the bike fixed, and headed back out for the trails.  

I was so scared that it was going to happen again, but I told myself that I could do it.  I was so tired, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.  I wanted to push myself.  We biked around that trail, and when we finished, I have to admit that I felt awesome that I accomplished that.  I mean the first real bike ride in 15 years, and I went 11 miles in the heat, so I guess I am pretty impressed with that.  I know it's nothing special, but it's something.  Not only did I do it, but I pushed myself, and faced my fears.  It turns out I can handle more than I give myself credit for.  I am so tired and worn out now, but pumped at the same time.  

Tomorrow afternoon we are going to go to a different trail to try that out, and I am excited.  I am so tired after that, so I believe that it's bedtime for me.  Fabulous bike ride # 1 completed!  Tomorrow is the big weigh in day, although truthfully, I am not getting my hopes up.  This morning I was only down one pound, and I have a feeling that I am retaining a ton of water.  Either way I will post the results, and hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend! 

Fabulously me,

KT

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you did well. I really relate to you Katie - re: the weight thing. Do you think it's because we care about what people think too much? And, most of the time, they aren't thinking anything about us. That's something I really need to work on. But way too go. You are really inspiring me to ride. Ding ding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, you are so sweet! I know my problem, is that I care too much about what other people thing. In my heart, I know that most of these thoughts are totally irrational, but it's ingrained so deep into who I am, that I have a hard time letting it go. I'm not completely sure what I am afraid of, I suppose it is rejection, and failure. I know I have to stop worrying so much and focus on me, because that's the only way I am going to lose this weight. We shouldn't feel like any less of a person than anyone else, but I can't help that I do. If I would hear someone else say that about themselves, it would break my heart, but for some reason I still do it to myself. This is a long process, and there will be a lot of self discovery, so hopefully we can figure it out together! We are worth it!

    Have a great evening, and thank you again for your comment, it really made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete